|PostGIS in Action, 2nd Edition
| || Amazon Price: $35.97
Lowest Used Price: $26.85
Lowest New Price: $30.92
PostGIS in Action, Second Edition teaches readers of all levels to write spatial queries that solve real-world problems. It first gives you a background in vector-, raster-, and topology-based GIS and then quickly moves into analyzing, viewing, and mapping data. This second edition covers PostGIS 2.0 and 2.1 series, PostgreSQL 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3 features, and shows you how to integrate with other GIS tools.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Book
Processing data tied to location and topology requires specialized know-how. PostGIS is a free spatial database extender for PostgreSQL, every bit as good as proprietary software. With it, you can easily create location-aware queries in just a few lines of SQL code and build the back end for a mapping, raster analysis, or routing application with minimal effort.
PostGIS in Action, Second Edition teaches you to solve real-world geodata problems. It first gives you a background in vector-, raster-, and topology-based GIS and then quickly moves into analyzing, viewing, and mapping data. You'll learn how to optimize queries for maximum speed, simplify geometries for greater efficiency, and create custom functions for your own applications. You'll also learn how to apply your existing GIS knowledge to PostGIS and integrate with other GIS tools.
Familiarity with relational database and GIS concepts is helpful but not required.
- An introduction to spatial databases
- Geometry, geography, raster, and topology spatial types, functions, and queries
- Applying PostGIS to real-world problems
- Extending PostGIS to web and desktop applications
- Updated for PostGIS 2.x and PostgreSQL 9.x
About the Authors
Regina Obe and Leo Hsu are database consultants and authors. Regina is a member of the PostGIS core development team and the Project Steering Committee.
Table of Contents
PART 1 INTRODUCTION TO POSTGIS
- What is a spatial database?
- Spatial data types
- Spatial reference system considerations
- Working with real data
- Using PostGIS on the desktop
- Geometry and geography functions
- Raster functions
- PostGIS TIGER geocoder
- Geometry relationships
PART 2 PUTTING POSTGIS TO WORK
- Proximity analysis
- Geometry and geography processing
- Raster processing
- Building and using topologies
- Organizing spatial data
- Query performance tuning
PART 3 USING POSTGIS WITH OTHER TOOLS
- Extending PostGIS with pgRouting and procedural languages
- Using PostGIS in web applications